Monday, August 8, 2011

Woensdag Afrikaanderplein Markt

On Wednesday, I went to the market at the Afrikaanderplein, which is right next to my apartment building.  It was quite busy and pretty interesting.  The very first street food that I bought since I got here, was a Turkse Pizza which I got at the Afrikaanderplein Markt.  Turkse Pizza is kind of like pita bread crossed with a tortilla, with a kind of spicy tomatoey sauce of some kind mixed with a shredded meat of some kind on it--I think it was lamb but I am not sure--and then filled with lettuce and tomatoes and rolled up.  It was really big and quite delicious, but not actually like pizza at all.

I also bought a dozen Granny Smith apples for 1 euro.  They were seconds so they had little spots on them and they weren't the prettiest or the crisp-est but they were still pretty tasty and they were definitely a good deal.  I ate about five of them but I was running out time on them and, since I don't have a microwave or an oven and I have to choose things that can be done on the stove, I decided to make some applesauce.  I had to make a trip to the store just to get some sugar.  Then, I didn't have any lemon juice, cinnamon, or apple juice.  So I used some apple pop (which I had bought earlier thinking it was apple juice) and the juice from half an orange.  Since I don't have a peeler, either, I just decided to throw the apples in with the peels on and it turned out pretty well.  It was a little sweeter than I would normally make it but it made it just like desert.  The apple peels gave it a little extra tartness, and also gave a little extra texture.  I think I will watch out for another deal on apples like that, because it was tasty and made me feel pretty productive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment