Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Dutch Improves

I read my first book in Dutch today.  I read the whole thing, front to back, without even a dictionary.

I am VERY proud of myself and feel as if I have accomplished something.

The book was called "Een Sneeuwman met een Plan."  Or, in English, "A Snowman with a Plan."

It is written and illustrated by Gunter Segers.

It looked like this:

In this story, some animals see their snowman friend doing stuff in the snow and they can't figure out what he's up to.  More and more animals come to watch the snowman as he rolls snowballs.  Sometimes they are too big.  Sometimes they are too small.  Sometimes they roll down the hill and splatter.  Finally, though, the snowman has a stack of snow balls.  Then he leaves and comes running back with a carrot.  He sticks the carrot into the top snowball and. . .

"He's made himself a vriendje (a little friend)!"  Say all of his animal friends.

"No!" says another animal "He's made himself a vriendinje (a girl friend)!"

And then all of the animals cheered.

It was a feel-good story if I ever read one.

And it was all in Dutch.


No comments:

Post a Comment