Tuesday, August 23, 2011

De Bibliotheek (the Library)

Since I don't have any more classes right now, I went in to the library which is about 100 yards from my building.  It is a branch of the Rotterdam public library system.


It is a little, bitty library on only one floor in the corner of a triangular building.  I think that I would like to be living in one of the apartments above the library.  Those are neat balconies and you would have a view down two different streets.

During the summer, the library was only open 5 or 6 hours per week so I hadn't really had a chance to check it out, but they are on to their regular schedule now, so I was able to go check it out.  It looks like it should be fun to go in there occasionally to look at books and to practice my Dutch.



When I first went into the library, I thought that there were an awfully lot of romance books, in fact, it looked like the only adult books they had were romance books.  But, when I went and looked it up, it turns out that "Romans" just means "fiction", not just "romance."



They also have a fairly large, proportionally speaking at least, travel section that should be fun to look through.  They have a small periodicals section, a bunch of books on tape, and a fair collection of kids books.  Since my vocabulary is fairly limited, and since flipping through a dictionary real cuts into the narrative stream, I focused on the kids books section.


Besides the one delightful book I already mentioned, I also read part of an "Asterix and Obelix" book.  This one is called "De Intrigant"--"The Spy" or "The Schemer", something like that.  This is one with Julius Caesar in it but it also has Brutus in it (who is always in  a bad mood) and Julius Caesar keeps saying "Ook gij, Brutus."  Which means "Et tu, Btutus."  So it is a little historical joke.  Actually though, "gij" is a really old fashioned form of "you"; we didn't even learn it in class at all and I only know about it because I ran across it in one of the old things that I was looking at one time.  I believe that it is still used in Friesland, however, where they have a pretty distinct dialect.

Asterix and Obelix are always a good read, though.  And that little Idifix is just so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment