Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Little Bit of Erasmus

Since I had to run around campus today to print things and see people, I decided to get some pictures of the campus.  This is a campus sign.  They emphasize the inter-nationality of the university.  The slogan at the bottom reads "The university for thinkers and doers."  There are at least four different Erasmus campuses around Rotterdam and the surrounding area.  I am at the Woudestein campus which houses the Faculty of Society and History, the Law School, the School of Economics and Business, and a few others, mostly grad programs.  Also, please note the "emergency" number.  911 is catchy and 112, which is the Dutch version, is not too bad.  I think, though, that in the middle of a fire or something I would have a really hard time remembering 0104081100.

This is the university map.  My language classes are in building G, which is in the vaguely H-shaped building at the bottom-right.  All of my other classes, and the whole Faculty of Society and History, is in building L, which is the really long one in the middle.  All the rest of the middle of the campus, pretty much, is in the middle of a massive construction progress.  To get from G to L you have to go all the way around the outside edge of the campus which makes getting places take a really long time and which really messed me up my first day when I was trying to figure out how to get across campus when my carefully detailed instructions were all for naught.  On the plus side, since classes don't start until the first full week of September, they do have almost a month to finish stuff up.  The yellow "M" at the very bottom right points to the Kralingse Zoom Metro stop where I arrive and leave every day.


This is one of the many water features around campus.  They have loads of ponds as well as loads of marshy bits which are less intentional but are the result of all of the rain they have been having.  There are lots of water lillies and also a bunch of basket type things which I assume are bird houses or nesting spots.  However, what I first thought when I saw them was "Hey, little aquatic Plants v. Zombies pea shooters!"


This is Erasmus himself.  He is very studious, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment