Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sometimes America is Just Better.

There are many things that are nice about the Netherlands. Their bread is pretty good and their groceries are pretty cheap (so are their cigarettes—you can buy 200 cigarettes (I didn’t recognize the brand) for only €1.47—it is almost enough to make you wish you smoked, or at least knew someone who did, because you could save so much money). Moreover, they have pretty, flat country with loads of pretty canals. However, and at the moment it seems like a pretty big however, the Dutch do not know what real peanut butter is. The Dutch version of peanut butter, or at least the version of "pindakaas" produced by Panda, does not taste like real peanut butter. It kind of tastes like Mom’s “healthy” peanut butter: the kind that doesn’t have any salt or any flavor and which is inefficiently blended and oddly dry and weirdly oily at the same time.
"Pindakaas", by the way, translates literally as "peanut cheese."  'Nuf said.

 I am not sure that the chocolate and vanilla sprinkles which they sell specifically to put on peanut butter sandwiches makes up for this short coming, but I am willing to give it a chance.
This is the version for the little kids (see the monkey?) the more grown-up versions were dark-chocolate or milk-chocolate sprinkles but had boring boxes, were also more expensive, and did not have vanilla sprinkles in them.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah, I just stumbled on your website while searching for information about the African Inn (I work at a rental office). I just wanted to say: YOU TASTED THE WRONG PEANUT BUTTER! The Panda peanutbutter is terrible. I hope for your sake you tried Calvé when you were in Holland :)? Greetings from Rotterdam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I bought this stuff my third day in the Rotterdam because it was cheap (oops!). I tried out the Albert Heijn and C1000 store brands too, and then I got Calvé, and that was my go-to brand for everything after that. =-)

      Delete
    2. Good to hear :). Greetings from a rainy Rotterdam!

      Delete