Friday, January 13, 2012

Walking around Prague

As I mentioned, one of the nicest things about Prague was that it is a good city to walk around in.  There are all kinds of fun buildings and fun places to see.
The Apollinaire Obstetrics and Gynecological Hospital.  It is a hospital built by the Czech state but appended to a church.  The first baby was delivered in 1875.  It also served as an orphanage and as a place for unwed mothers.  As far as I can tell, the hospital is still being used to deliver babies.
Above, you can see an aerial view of the hospital.  It's multiple wings, with lots of open spaces and windows were the height of architectural design at the time and it still seems pretty appealing now. 



This is an old church which now holds the Czech Police Museum.  It is pretty and oriental looking.  The picture on the left is of the backside of the building.  I think that it's funny that there is all this graffiti right next to police museum.  
It is on the edge of a cliff with an overlook over Prague.  Even the old, residential type apartment buildings are pretty and pastel.



On the way back into the main part of the city, I found this tiered park.  There were 5 or 6 kids playing together and they all had light sabers so I bet that they had just opened them that morning for Christmas.  Below is a view over the old part of Prague from the park.  The park was paid for by the European Fund for Regional Development.

























By the way, I don't remember who gave me that green scarf (I think it was a Christmas present) but I wear it all the time.  It is convenient for keeping the rain off when it is too windy for an umbrella.  It is warm but stuffs into a bag when I don't need it.  And, most of all, it is very, very fashionable.  I also have a brown scarf, which I think I also got for Christmas but that is lighter weight so it will wait til spring.  When I was getting ready to leave Prague I had a few koruna left and, instead of changing the money back to euros and losing more money in fees and exchange rates, I decided to spend the money on a souvenir and I got a new purple scarf as well.  I am so trendy it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment