Friday, January 6, 2012

Pražský Hrad

Prague Castle ("Pražský hrad" in Czech) is one of the things you are absolutely supposed to see when your in Prague.  St. Vitus's Cathedral, which is inside the castle complex, is another one of those things you have to see.  Since I knew that the castle grounds were closed on Christmas Eve, I went on Friday, the 23rd.  However, Vaclav Havel's funeral was on the 23rd and so all of the castle grounds were closed and there was massive security.  So all I saw was the outside of the complex.  It's pretty impressive looking.  This was also where I realized that Prague is a lot hillier than the Netherlands.  The castle is on the top of a little mountain and is pretty impressive.





Looking out along the wall of the
Prague Castle Complex.


The Castle grounds.




























This is an interestingly decorated building just outside the Castle complex.  The pattern is painted onto the side of the building.  I think that it would make a really pretty quilt.
       














This is a fancy gilded gate that normally leads to the Castle grounds.  The day I went it all locked up.




On Christmas Eve night, I went and looked at the Charles Bridge.  I it was really pretty and you have a really pretty view of the Castle Quarter.  I had trouble getting very good pictures with my camera but if you want so see pictures of what the view ought to look like, you can find them here.




This is a picture of the replica of the Eiffel Tower which is at the top of the Petrin Hill.  To get to the top, you  can take the special Funicular Railway.  You can see a close up picture of it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment