Friday, June 1, 2012

We're flying!!!

When Jael and I were hanging out in the Copenhagen Airport, we were pretty impressed.  Besides the weird goblin-face art display, they had a science area for kids, although there were a bunch of adults who were checking things out as well.  They had displays on how the length of a pendulum affects its swing and other things.  They had a display on sound waves, too.  There was long tube of water with speakers pointing at it.  You could fiddle with dials to increase or decrease the volume and frequency, which made ripples in the water and, one time when Jael turned one of the knobs, made it almost boil.  That also made a really loud and startling noise so Jael and I quickly zipped away to a quieter display.  They had a mirror display where you could get pictures of yourself "jumping".  It was difficult to photograph effectively.  Also, Jael had trouble trying to smile and stand on one leg at the same time.  It was entertaining.

There were also Lego shops, the most massive duty-free shop complexes I have ever seen, and loads and loads of Danish-themed souvenirs.  They had, for some reason, loads and loads of wooden shoes and "wooden" shoe fuzzy slippers.  I don't know why they were trying to take over the Dutch distinctives but they are, apparently.  It was a pretty good airport, though.

(I do have a few more things to say about what we did in Copenhagen but those are longer and more complicated posts to write that, what with my thesis, I haven't had time to finish like I would like.  So, I've decided to skip ahead a bit and will post some of the other fun stuff we did back in the Netherlands (and hopefully we will get some nifty food posts too (*eyebrow wiggle at Jael*)) and I will get back to the historical stuff when I get some more time.)

2 comments:

  1. The mirrors create a very odd effect. It's almost like she's sitting in a Johnny-Jump-Up , or something. Is that why there are pictures of Jael "jumping" but no pictures of you jumping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precisely. =-)
    If you did it right, it looked like you were hovering in mid-air but it was really hard to get the right camera angle, and especially hard to get the right angle without having a double reflection of me and the camera, which tended to spoil the effect somewhat.

    ReplyDelete