Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Almost Last Post (Kind Of)

When I set about to write this blog for you guys, I looked at some other travel blogs, just to see the kinds of things that people were writing about.  For starters, I was surprised at the number of blogs named "Hannah's Fun Traveling in Europe Blog" or some variation thereof.  I always forget how popular my name got a few years after I was born.  (It took a few years for  my fame to spread.)

Another thing that I noticed was that every. single. blog. began their last post with the sentence "I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone".  I swore then that I would not do the same thing for my last blog post.  Not so much because I oppose cliché (sometimes things are clichéd because they work) but because I hated to seem so derivative.  Well, having almost reached the end of my European Travels, I am terribly, terribly tempted.  I will remain strong, but it is a struggle.  Because events have proceeded with greater alacrity than would have seemed conceivable in the past and, indeed, than seems creditable at present.

Yesterday was the last time I will hear the early-warning sirens tested.  Yesterday I also had my very last exam.  (Although I do still have to finish writing my thesis and I do have a presentation later this week.)  This coming Sunday will be my next to last Dutch church service.  I probably won't need to go to the grocery store again because I will just be eating to clean out the fridge and my cupboard.  I will be flying out in just a little over three weeks.

It's been quick.

Not to worry though: what with one thing and another, I have not kept up with all of my exciting travels so I may be putting posts here for another year (or two).  I currently have about two months of draft posts waiting to be finished and at least another couple of weeks worth of posts for which I have not even organized a draft.  And, since I will be travelling to England and visiting Penny and her husband next week, and will be visiting Albania--with a little layover in Italy along the way--the week after that, I will still have loads and loads of things to talk about.  Maybe while I am house-sitting for Mom and Dad (since they plan on leaving on vacation as soon as I arrive to look after their stinky and varied fowl) I will have time to finish up all of those posts.

But in the meantime: I can't believe . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment