Monday, December 26, 2011

Prague Christmas Love


I thought it only fair to mention that I did not feel homesick this Christmas.  I barely even missed you guys at all and I certainly didn't pine for you.


You might have stood a chance of standing out in my thoughts if there wasn't snow on the ground when I flew into Prague.  And if it hadn't smelled like more snow.  And if they weren't selling roasted chestnuts out of little wheeled carts.  And if the carts weren't right next to little stands that sold hot chocolate.  And if those weren't right next to stands where they baked traditional Czech donoghts on sticks over beds of coals.  And if you couldn't take carriage rides around the city with your choice of matching pairs of horses.  And if some of those pairs of horses didn't have matching pink and purple ear-warmers.  And if the whole city didn't light up at night, like a fluffy, twinkly, sparkly, fairy-tale land.


But as it was, you didn't stand a chance.

Well, on my way home, at 11 o'clock at night, after a long afternoon at the airport, when I was already tired and cold, while I was riding the bus back home through the suburbs and saw Christmas lights through warm family-room windows, then I felt a little misty.

But, the rest of the time, you guys were pretty much eclipsed.








No comments:

Post a Comment