Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas in Prague

Over Christmas I will be going to Prague!  It should be pretty fun.   Prague (Praha in Czech) is known for having loads of very old buildings, for its impressive music and opera scene, and for its impressive Christmas Markets.  If you click here, you can see the Google search result for pictures for Christmas in Prague--pretty impressive, eh?  It is supposed to snow over the weekend as well, which is exciting.

I anticipate that I will try the traditional Czech Christmas Eve menu of sauerkraut soup and baked cod.  I will, however, try very, very hard to avoid tripe soup, which apparently is a popular dish in the Czech Republic.  I looked it up on Google Translate and there are three Czech words for tripe (which is really way too many for any one language) and while I can in no way pronounce any of them, I will avoid any menu items which include any of these words: dršťky, šmejd, or droby.

If you want to see what kinds of things I will be seeing, the official Prague tourism website includes three live webcams of Prague.  You can click through them all but the one that this link opens, is of the Charles Bridge, which crosses the Vltava River, beside which I will be living.  The bridge is pretty famous and also pretty famous for being beautiful.  It is worth seeing at night, especially.


No comments:

Post a Comment