Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Aachener Weihnacht Markt (Aachen Christmas Market)

Walter's return from Germany, and his reports of the fun time he had there, reminded me of how much I enjoyed the Christmas markets in Prague.  So, in the spirit of the holiday, because I am writing about Aachen (even though I wasn't there during the Christmas season) I thought that I would share some pictures I found of the market, which is located in the Katschhof, the large plaza between the Dom and the Stadhuis.

If you go here and here, you can see some photo albums from different fairs.  Here you can see an interesting  blog post about visiting the market.  Here you can find the official website for the market.  And, if you go here, you can see an official Christmas Market website that talks all about the different German Christmas markets.  If you scroll down a ways, you will find a video of the market which includes a little history of the market and a couple of really interesting bits about popular cookies and candies at the market.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Hannah. I have never visited Aachen but it is high on my wish list of places to visit. I understand that Charlemagne's relics (bones) are displayed on a specifc cycle of years. I looked up the Picco Bella; it is a support organization for (mostly singe) women to help with gainful employment. http://www.picco-bella.de. Good pictures and stories of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete